Monday, July 5, 2010

I had a hard time on "f"...

...because the Writing books that we were made to study when I were little wrote a different cursive "f" than my teacher who's really writing in the board. I don't know which curve is right. Nobody cares though, only you when you get a grade below 90 on Writing. But every one gets over it, time comes that I can write whatever kind of "F" (and I mean all the Fs in the world...) in the world, on a paper, at your walls, anywhere.

But this instance only applies in learning to write in cursive. The other hard things of life are better off being pushed through than getting over with.

Last week for instance, while most of the Filipinos where berating a fellow on fame for her looks and for being casted in the 21st century's comedy-musical Glee albeit her talent, I was spending my extended weekend giving my readings the cold shoulder while re-repairing my body tissues oversleeping. Come our Literature class, I was nearly hyperventilating for our weekly pop test when our professor made it clear that the reading that I failed to "go through" was not included. It was a sudden moment of happiness, like the moment I saw the perfect shape of shoes or the perfect mint green nail polish. Simply put, a divine intervention threw me a stone tablet hitting me in the head, giving me a lesson. I have another extended weekend to finish the reading. My failure as a student, save me from that same failure as I thought -- and save me from a twisted discipline for my future ahead that is now misty (if I was before young and hopeful that it will be bright.)

After all, why should I force myself to cram all the Indian verse of the epic Ramayana in three hours when I can read it little by little and understand? Achievement of a college student in crisis # 1.

On the other side of the picture, in address to the critics of our fellow Charice, I don't care if you are questioning her fluency in English, or her accent and diction, or her musicality. That may be fair enough for your opinion. But arguing that she does not deserve the stage because she's not pretty? How many people have taught us to look in ourselves in the mirror in the first place? Dig deeper in your bones and maybe you can find the answer. Thoughts of a Filipina wondering # 1.

I'm sorry that you have to read through all the boring geek anecdotes and nationalistic preaching to get to my point, but I'm confident that you get what I'm trying to deliver. For a twisted self discipline is not something that you have to get over with, and so is the idea of talent, varnished by beauty in this "beautiful" third world.

You say everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I say you are only entitled to your letter "f".

No comments:

Post a Comment