Thursday, May 17, 2012

Artwork Afternoons

I drew and painted this the other afternoon.


Read on for the story of Kewpie Dolls..

And what are Kewpie dolls you might ask? They are these little cupid dolls popular in the early 20ths century that appeared in various magazines, comic strips and advertisements. Dolls like these were usually given as prices in carnivals before.

(Source)

I've been very curious for a long time about these little, naked, baby dolls because I want to find an artwork online. But it wasn't until yesterday that I discovered they are called Kewpies. I bet they're so cute in real life to have them displayed in my room, but they are equally scary as well in the dark.


(Source)

I'm drawing this little Kewpie head in my journal earlier when mama took a peek at it. I let out a very mischievous and snappy "Tyanak!" while she was looking at me. HAHA!

This little cutie is also featured in the squeeze bottle of a famous Japanese mayonaisse brand.

(Source)

Cutie and freaky! I'd love them more than Blythe dolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment